Historically, life insurance has been a taboo subject.
As humans, we’re hardwired to think we’ll live forever. Since discussing life insurance means we’re addressing our own mortality, far too many of us choose to avoid the situation altogether.
Fortunately, the tide appears to be turning as more and more families choose to buy coverage for their families.
A study from Life Happens and life insurance research and development agency (LIMRA) showed that over 106 million of American adults are in need of some type of life insurance coverage or more of it.
Further, the number of households with life insurance coverage decreased by 13% over the last decade.
Parents under 45 with children in the home are buying coverage at higher levels than ever. From 2010 to 2016, individual coverage for millennials under the age of 35 also grew by a whopping 48 percent.
While this is all good news, far too many families still don’t have enough life insurance coverage in place. As a 2022 study from Bankrate showed, nearly half of respondents said they had less than $100,000 in coverage, while 21 percent noted they had $21,000 in coverage or less.
While some coverage is better than nothing, for most families, this isn’t nearly enough.
Introducing Haven Life
Fortunately, there’s a new – and easy – way to purchase the right amount of term life insurance coverage for your family. With Haven Life , you can apply for a tailored life insurance policy online and get coverage in a matter of days – or even hours.
Better yet, you can purchase a Haven Life term life insurance policy on top of the life insurance coverage you already have. So, if you have a life insurance policy through your employer, you don’t have to give it up. Best of all, term life insurance typically coverage costs a lot less than you think.
But, why Haven Life? First off, Haven Life only sells affordable term life insurance . With Haven Life, you’ll never have to endure a long sales speech about whole life insurance that costs an arm and a leg.
Since Haven Life only sells term coverage, you can shop for the coverage you want without worrying about cheesy salesman or absurd pricing. Keep in mind, a 35-year-old man could buy $500,000 in term life insurance coverage for as little as $21 per month!
Another huge reason to shop for life insurance with Haven Life? You can apply entirely online. By clicking through to Haven Life’s online application page, you could be on your way to affordable life insurance coverage in minutes.
Simply fill out the application with your personal details, health information, and life insurance needs, and you’ll quickly find out how much you qualify for – and how much it costs.
And if you’re in perfect health, the news could be even better.
Because Haven Life offers InstantTerm – a type of policy that doesn’t require a medical exam – those with excellent health could apply for life insurance coverage and have a policy in place within hours. You don’t have to apply for an InstantTerm policy separately, either.
Once you fill out Haven Life’s application, you’ll find out whether you qualify for InstantTerm right away. Check to see if no exam life insurance for smokers applies to you.
If you do not qualify, you will have 90 days to go through the standard medical exam procedure that most other term life insurance companies employ.
Where you once had to sit in a stuffy insurance agent’s office to buy life insurance or get contacted by a bunch of agents through an online form, the online application process created by Haven Life has made buying a policy that much easier.
Better yet, you’ll get the same quality of coverage you would buy through a normal agent and you get coverage that is competitive with the rest of the industry, even those that require a medical exam.
With Haven Life, you can count on receiving:
- A simple online application process
- No medical exam for qualified, healthy applicants
- Easy price and policy comparisons
- An immediate decision with InstantTerm
- Backing of Mass Mutual, an insurer with 160 years of experience
- A plain language no commission policy
The Haven Life Online Application Process
Since you’re reading this review, you’re probably aware you need more life insurance coverage. While you’ve taken a positive first step in the right direction, you’re not done yet.
In order to receive the coverage your family so desperately needs, you need to move forward with the application process.
The good news is, the Haven Life online application process is simple – and with no strings attached. To get started, you’ll simply head to HavenLife.com and fill out some basic information on the home page.
From there, you’ll select the prompt that says “Apply Now.”
Once you begin your application, you’ll need to fill out some basic information about yourself, your income, your family, and your health.
Before you get started, here are some details you’ll need to have ready:
- Net Worth
- Employment Status
- Military Status
- Criminal History
- Driving History
- Travel Plans
- Tobacco Use
- Alcohol Use
- Health History
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s License Number
Once you submit the required information, you’ll get an answer immediately on whether you’re approved or not and how much your monthly premium will be.
In some cases, you’ll need to complete a medical exam to get coverage, but will still have coverage while the underwriting process takes its course.
Fort those who qualify with the best rate class, however, will likely qualify for an InstantTerm policy with no medical exam required. With Haven Life’s InstantTerm, you can apply for coverage in the morning and have a life insurance policy in place by afternoon.
How Much Does Term Life Insurance from Haven Life Cost?
While whole life insurance coverage can be prohibitively expensive, term life can be downright cheap. I filled out a few applications to work up some examples, and here’s what I found:
- A 35-year-old woman in excellent health can buy a 20-year term policy with a death benefit of $500,000 for as little as $18.50 per month.
- A 47-year-old man in excellent health can buy a 20-year term insurance policy for $500,000 for as little as $58.50 per month
- A 26-year-old man can buy a 30-year term life policy for $250,000 for as little as $19.75 per month.
- A 36-year-old woman can buy a 20-year policy for $750,000 for as little as $28 per month.
At the end of the day, the cost of your policy depends on factors such as your age, your health, and how much coverage you want to buy.
That’s why filling out a preliminary application with Haven Life is the best way to get started – you don’t know how much you could save unless you apply.
Even if you hope to buy a larger policy, it may be more affordable than you think.
On the other hand, Haven Life does have the right to deny applicants who have poor health or a higher risk of early death. And even if you’re quoted an affordable monthly rate, the true monthly premium of your policy could change once your medical exam results are read.
Fortunately, you are not required to purchase a term life insurance policy from Haven Life – even after you submit an application and complete a medical exam.
Also keep in mind that Haven Life offers quotes from competing insurers as well as their own. If you could find a better deal on term life insurance elsewhere, Haven Life will let you know.
Since term life insurance all works similarly, the best thing you can do is shop around among different issuers or at least compare prices before you buy. Haven Life makes this part easy by offering competing quotes directly on their own site.
Haven Life Plus
Haven Life has unveiled a new “rider” on their insurance plans, and it’s very different than most riders out there. You don’t get accelerated death benefit or anything like that. Instead, you’re getting additional benefits that you won’t get with any other carrier.
First, you’re getting legal services (wills and healthcare power of attorney) through Trust & Will. These services usually cost $129, but if you have a Haven Life insurance plan, you get them for free.
Next, you’ll get 15% off health care services at any MinuteClinic. These MinuteClinics are in CVS and Targets across the country. You don’t have to have an appointment and they are open every day.
Additionally, if you’re a Haven Life policyholder, you get a LifeSite membership for free. LifeSite is a secure and easy way to store all of your important documents and share them across multiple platforms and devices. A membership typically costs $80, but you get this for free with Haven Life.
The most interesting benefit of Haven Life Plus is the discount to use TeloYears. What is TeloYears? It’s an at-home DNA test which details your biomarkers. These biomarkers can outline some ways you can improve your health and point out any potential problems in your lifestyle.
Lastly, you’ll get a LifeLink subscription. The goal of LifeLilnk is to make calling emergency services as easy and simple as possible. If you’re ever in an emergency, LifeLink allows you to get in touch with emergency services with just one button. After the call is over, your emergency contacts will be automatically contacted.
All of these benefits are included in the cost of your plan. You won’t have to pay extra for the benefits. Haven Life wants to help you live your best life, not just provide coverage after you pass.
What are People Saying About Haven Life?
Although Haven Life launched in May of 2015, they have already built an excellent reputation among both consumers and life insurance ratings agencies.
This is partly because Haven Life is owned by MassMutual, an insurer with 160 years of experience in the life insurance business.
As of February 2023, MassMutual and its subsidiaries C.M. Life Insurance Company and MML Bay State Life Insurance Company were rated by A.M. Best Company as A++ (Superior; Top category of 15).
Of course, ratings aren’t nearly as important as firsthand reviews and experience. Fortunately, I know one person who saved almost 50 percent on her premiums when she bought a 20-year term policy for $1,000,000 last year.
Where another company quoted her $60 per month for coverage, a policy with Haven Life came in at just $28 per month.
Haven Life on Trust Pilot
Trust Pilot also offers a range of ongoing reviews from new Haven Life customers. Here are some of the reviews consumers have left:
“The experience with Have Life was excellent. The process was very easy and not burdensome. The response was quick and not drawn out like I experienced with other life insurance companies .” – Tiffani
“Can’t say enough good comments about this product and the ease, no hassle experience with this company. Their website is very easy to use which made it easy to decide exactly what I wanted. A couple of emails back and forth, a 20-minute visit by the nurse to for the medical checkup and that was it. No pressure, no trying to steer me to a different product, can’t beat it!” – William
“The process of buying life insurance through Haven Life was great. I dreaded going to see a financial advisor who would try to sell me on products I didn’t want or need. This was a perfect alternative to that process and took less than 30 minutes to complete. If you know what your looking for and don’t want the hassle of a salesman trying to upsell you, Haven Life is perfect.” – Benjamin
How Much Life Insurance Should I Buy?
If you’re one of the millions of Americans who have some life insurance coverage, you might wonder whether buying more is a good investment. Keep in mind that most experts suggest buying at least 5-10x your income in life insurance coverage. If you earn $50,000 per year, for example, you’ll want to have at least $250,000 – $500,000 in place.
While this is a good place to start, many experts believe you need a whole lot more.
Fortunately, Haven Life offers a life insurance calculator you can play around with to get an idea of how much coverage to buy. Based on your answers to a series of questions, you can get a general range of coverage that will adequately protect your spouse and kids.
While there are numerous reasons to load up on life insurance coverage, here are some of the main life expenses your policy needs to cover:
- Income Replacement – If you or your spouse were to pass away early, you would need to make sure your life insurance policy was adequate to replace your income during your working years.
- College Tuition – If you have children and want them to attend college, it’s important to consider this expense when you buy life insurance. With enough coverage in place, you could get your kids through college debt-free.
- Mortgage Payments – Whether you have the typical thirty-year mortgage or a loan with a shorter term, it’s important to consider how this loan will be paid off if you died. Consider adding enough life insurance to pay for your mortgage in its entirety upon your death.
- Funeral Expenses – Passing away before your time is both tragic and expensive. Depending on the type of funeral your family plans, they might need to spend $10,000 or more. Make sure your life insurance policy is large enough to cover funeral expenses in addition to everything else.
- Children’s Expenses – Kids are expensive, and they only get more expensive as they age. If you have children at home, make sure you have plenty of coverage to pay for daily living expenses, college tuition, sporting events, weddings, and more.
Who Can Get a Haven Life Policy?
If you’re thinking about getting a Haven Life term life insurance policy, you’re in luck. Currently, the insurer sells affordable term life insurance in 48 states plus the District of Columbia.
They’re not yet available in California or Montana, but they hope to change that soon.
To qualify for a policy, you must meet medical standards or pass a medical exam set up by Haven Life. You should be at least 18-years-old but younger than 65. You also need to meet the following qualifications:
- Be a non-military U.S. citizen
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Not intend to use the policy for business purposes or to replace another policy
Financial Strength of Haven Life
The financial strength of Haven Life is evidenced by the fact that it is backed by the 150-year-old MassMutual, a leading provider of life insurance and retirement products.
With over $500 billion in assets, MassMutual has maintained an A++ rating from AM Best for nearly two decades, making it one of the most highly rated life insurers in the US. Additionally, Haven Life is licensed to sell life insurance in all 50 states and also holds licenses with other jurisdictions.
A.M. Best Company
Moody’s Investors Service
Standard & Poor’s
The Bottom Line – Haven Life Insurance
If you’re thinking of buying a term life insurance policy, don’t delay.
The younger you are when you buy a policy, the more affordable your monthly premiums will be. And if you should happen to become sick, you’ll have peace of mind knowing you already have the life insurance coverage you need.
To get started, visit Haven Life’s home page to begin the quick and simple process of applying online. Within a matter of minutes, you should have a general idea of whether you’ll qualify, how much coverage you can buy, and how much your monthly premiums will cost.
You may not want to talk about life insurance, but you do need to act. Buying an inexpensive term policy is the best way to protect your family today, tomorrow, and always.
Do you have term life insurance coverage? How much did you pay?
Haven Life Insurance Review
Summary of Haven Life Insurance
Haven Life offers a refreshing approach to life insurance, making the process of purchasing a policy easier and more convenient for consumers. The company provides a user-friendly online platform where you can quickly compare different life insurance options, determine your coverage needs, and apply for a policy. The application process is straightforward and easy to complete, with no medical exams required in many cases. One of the standout features of Haven Life is the use of technology to streamline the life insurance experience. From the online platform to the automated underwriting process, everything is designed to make the process as fast and hassle-free as possible. Customers also appreciate the ability to manage their policy online, view account information, and make payments with ease.
Cost and Fees
- Convenient online process: Haven Life makes it easy to purchase a life insurance policy online, with a simple and straightforward application process.
- No medical exams required: In many cases, Haven Life does not require a medical exam for approval of coverage, making it a convenient option for those who are healthy and do not want to go through a medical exam.
- Affordable: Haven Life offers competitive life insurance rates, making it a cost-effective option for many consumers.
- Access to financial advice: Haven Life provides customers with access to financial advice and support, helping them make informed decisions about their coverage and overall financial health.
- Limited coverage options: Haven Life primarily offers term life insurance, which may not meet the needs of everyone. If you are looking for a more comprehensive coverage solution, you may need to consider a different company.
- Online process may not be for everyone: While the online process can be convenient for some, it may not be ideal for those who prefer to work with a human agent.
- Potential for higher premiums: If you have pre-existing health conditions, you may be charged a higher premium for life insurance coverage, which could make it more expensive than other options.
- Newer company: Haven Life is a relatively new company in the life insurance market, which may make some customers hesitant to work with them.
Cited Research Articles
- LifeHappens.org (2022 April) Owning Life Insurance Provides a Clear Path to Financial Security Retrieved from https://lifehappens.org/research/owning-life-insurance-provides-a-clear-path-to-financial-security/
- MassMutual.com (n.d.) Financial Performance and Insurance Ratings Retrieved from https://www.massmutual.com/about-us/massmutual-financial-summary
- Trust Pilot Haven Life Review (n.d.) Retrieved from https://www.trustpilot.com/review/havenlife.com
- The 2022 TIAA Institute-GFLEC Personal Finance Index (2022) Retrieved from https://gflec.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/TIAA-Institute-GFLEC-2022-Personal-Finance-P-Fin-Index.pdf?x59497
How much will be quote for life insurance for me. 46 year old in excellent health condition. I earn now around $20,000 K but it will be more for a few years when I get my nursing degree. Thanks